You may change your immigration status from a temporary stay in the United States to a permanent resident as you receive a green card. You will have to meet certain qualifications, but you may receive your green card without having to return to your home country. If you are in your home country and you seek to become a permanent resident in the United States, you will have to undergo consular processing.